ZANTI_MISFIT: BE YOUR OWN ENGINEER

I am not entering technology as a convert.

I am not standing at the gates of IT, DevOps, cybersecurity, systems administration, SQL, networking, Linux, or whatever other kingdom somebody has drawn a certification path around and asking permission to become respectable.

I came here carrying wires.

I came here carrying cheap keyboards, busted consumer electronics, photocopied ideas, distortion pedals, homemade records, library books, command lines, bad diagrams, good questions, strange instincts, and twenty-five years of refusing to use things only in the ways they were sold to me.

That matters.

There was a RadioShack ad once that said:

BE YOUR OWN ENGINEER.

That sentence has followed me farther than RadioShack ever could.

Not become an engineer when someone authorizes you.

Not purchase the approved identity of Engineer.

Not dress correctly, speak correctly, flatten yourself into corporate geometry, then wait for someone with a badge to decide that you belong.

Be your own engineer.

Take the machine apart.

Learn what the pieces do.

Put it back together differently.

Ask why the protocol exists.

Ask who benefits from the architecture.

Ask what happens when the intended use is not the only possible use.

That is where I come from.

I have always trusted the person who opens the back panel.

At thirteen, heavy metal guitar players could sneer because I did not perform the role correctly.

They lost.

Later, other scenes could sneer because I did not perform their role correctly.

They lost too.

Now I walk into the technical world and hear the same ancient little machinery rattling in the walls:

You don't look like us.

You don't sound like us.

You came here through the wrong door.

Fine.

I have spent my life coming through the wrong door.

Sometimes the wrong door is the only one that leads somewhere interesting.

So here I am.

Studying SQL on a Dell laptop while Triumph of the Nerds plays nearby.

Reading What the Dormouse Said and watching the strange historical current that carried counterculture, laboratories, military research, communalism, cybernetics, psychedelia, hobbyists, hackers and business into the personal computer.

Reading Margaret O'Mara's The Code to understand the institutional machine.

Reading Fred Turner's From Counterculture to Cyberculture to understand how the language of liberation migrated into networks.

Watching Revolution OS and seeing another generation argue that software should not merely be consumed but understood, modified, shared, rebuilt.

Watching General Magic and seeing brilliant people arrive early to a future that did not yet know how to receive them.

Watching The Net and All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace and seeing the dream develop teeth.

And then returning to the terminal.

SELECT

JOIN

WHERE

GROUP BY

Again.

Again.

Again.

This is not nostalgia.

This is not costume.

This is not me pretending that owning old ideas makes me technically competent.

The work matters.

If I cannot explain the system, I need to study it.

If I cannot configure it, I need to practice.

If I cannot troubleshoot it, I need to trace the signal until I understand where it broke.

If I don't know, I say I don't know.

Then I learn.

That is the bargain.

What I will not do is confuse competence with cultural obedience.

I reject the idea that seriousness requires beige walls.

I reject the idea that imagination is the enemy of rigor.

I reject the assumption that creative people become legitimate only after they learn how to disguise themselves as people who never made anything strange.

My creative life is not baggage I carried into technology.

It is training.

Making records taught me signal paths.

Cheap gear taught me constraints.

Writing taught me abstraction.

Collage taught me systems can be built from incompatible materials.

DIY taught me documentation by necessity.

Bands taught me distributed failure.

Old electronics taught me curiosity.

Python taught me that the computer does not care whether I arrived through a computer-science department or through a lifetime of asking, what happens if I connect this to that?

Cybersecurity makes immediate sense to me because I have spent my life looking for the seam.

The hidden entrance.

The unintended behavior.

The thing everybody assumes is fixed because nobody has bothered to push against it.

That does not make me an expert.

Study makes expertise. Practice makes expertise. Time makes expertise.

But restless curiosity is good fuel.

And I have a ridiculous amount of fuel.

The history matters because technology was never merely technological.

Personal computing came wrapped in arguments about human freedom.

Networks came wrapped in dreams about community.

Open source came wrapped in arguments about ownership.

Cybersecurity is wrapped in arguments about trust.

Artificial intelligence is wrapped in arguments about agency, labor, authorship and intelligence itself.

Every machine arrives carrying philosophy in its chassis.

Pretending otherwise does not make you practical.

It only means you haven't opened the case yet.

So this is the flag.

Not conquest.

Not superiority.

Presence.

ZANTI_MISFIT was here.

I am learning the protocols.

I am studying the systems.

I am reading the history.

I am practicing the commands.

I am earning the certifications.

I am building the skill.

And I am bringing the noise with me.

The same restless creative spirit that made songs out of whatever equipment was available is now staring into networks, databases, operating systems and security models.

Nothing has been abandoned.

The circuitry simply expanded.

I did not leave the underground for technology.

I discovered another underground beneath the floorboards.

There are cables down here.

There are forgotten manuals.

There are old utopian promises humming beside corporate infrastructure.

There are people still asking what the machine can become.

Good.

I have questions.

BE YOUR OWN ENGINEER.

Then prove it.

ZANTI_MISFIT@LOCALHOST:~$ _

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Glorious Entropy of 1987: An Examination of Psychotronic Cinema, Analog Aesthetics, and the Vinegar Syndrome Mandate

Down the Tubi's Sunday Marathon: The Psycho-Skull Broadcast

🟣 DOWN THE TUBIS🕯️ Leaving Soon: The Last Books in the Library Before the Flood